FAQ: What Is the University’s Policy Regarding Student Health Insurance?

Posted: November 18, 2002 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

This frequently asked questions column appears in the Daily Gazette every Monday. All questions originate from the green comment boxes located throughout the university, or are items brought to the attention of the Quality of Work Life Committee. Answers are supplied by the appropriate academic unit, department, or office. One question is answered per week.

Q: What is the university’s policy regarding student health insurance?

A: All students are strongly encouraged to obtain insurance that covers basic health and major medical costs. International students on an F-1 or J-1 visa are required to have health insurance and are automatically enrolled by the university into an insurance plan. International students who already have healthcare insurance that meets minimal standards set by George Mason may be exempted from enrollment into the plan by providing information about their coverage to the office of Student Health Insurance located in SUB I, Room 219A.

Information that must be provided includes a copy of the student’s insurance card and details about the coverage provided by the student’s policy. Domestic students carrying a minimum of six credit hours and domestic students enrolled in a degree-granting program may purchase the Student Accident and Sickness Health Insurance Plan, which can be expanded to include dental coverage and/or coverage for dependents. More information may be obtained from the Office for Student Health Insurance or by calling (703) 993-2827. — Mary Ann Braun, Health and Wellness Center director, (703) 993-2832, mbraun1@gmu.edu.

Write to at