Health and Fitness Expo Offers Exciting New Attractions
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am
By Dave Andrews
A video game that’s good for your health? A residence hall room that encourages exercise? Cash for cooking light? Yes, you’ll find all this and more at Mason’s Health and Fitness Expo this year.
On Wednesday, March 28 and Thursday, March 29, everyone is invited to come and see and participate in a wide variety of active health-related demonstrations and informative displays.
The expo — sponsored by Kaiser Permanente — will be open in Dewberry Hall and the South Plaza of the Johnson Center on the Fairfax Campus from noon to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Thursday. It will also run at the Prince William Campus on Thursday, April 5, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
New attractions this year include:
- Three-time USA Olympian and walking world record holder Debbi Lawrence will speak on exercise, nutrition and the benefits of walking.
- Top Chef cooking competition — Competitors are given the chance to win $250 from Kaiser Permanente by cooking an original, easy-to-prepare, healthy dish.
- Healthy residence hall room — A model room in the Expo featuring products and suggestions for healthy residence hall living. Health experts will provide interactive “mini-lectures” to students to promote healthy living in a small space.
- Dance Dance Revolution, a video game emphasizing dance moves and coordination, will be available for play.
This year, more than 50 exhibitors will be on hand at information booths, including the Chiropractic Family Health Centre, General Mills, Great Harvest Bread Company, Men’s Health Network and REI.
Many popular activities from past expos will also headline the event, such as:
- A climbing wall on the South Plaza of the Johnson Center
- Healthy cooking demonstrations
- Blood donating opportunities
- Drawings for door prizes every hour
Health care providers will offer various health screening opportunities:
- Blood Pressure
- Cholesterol (fasting not required)
- Diabetes (requires a two-hour fast)
- Nutritional Analysis and Counseling
- Vision and Hearing
- Skin Assessment
For more information, visit the Health and Fitness Expo web site or contact Student Health Services at 703-993-2832.