Speakers to Explore the Human Costs of War
Posted: October 25, 2006 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am
At presentations on Thursday, Oct. 26, a group of speakers that includes military veterans will consider current U.S. policy and reflect on its costs to U.S. service people and the soldiers and civilians of the Middle East.
The first program will be held from 4:15 to 7 p.m., and the second program will be held from 7:20 to 10 p.m. Each program will include the same speakers, with some variation in content. Both programs will be held on the Fairfax Campus in Mason Hall, Edwin Meese III Conference Room.
Speakers will include:
- Phyllis Bennis, Institute for Policy Studies fellow
- Tia Steele, Gold Star mother
- Geoff Millard, Iraq war veteran, now refusing to return to his unit
- Scott Camil, Vietnam Veterans for Peace
- Paul Sullivan, Veterans for America
- Mason students from the Middle East
Also, clips from the recent documentary, “The Ground Truth,” depicting military recruitment, training, service in Iraq and readjustment to civilian life, will be shown.
Sponsors of the presentation are the Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Department of English, Students for a Democratic Society and Students for Justice in Palestine. This event is free and open to all.