Mason Police Host Conference at Prince William Campus
Posted: August 14, 2006 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am
The George Mason University Police Department is hosting the first annual national College and University Police and Investigators Conference at the Prince William Campus Aug. 14 to 16. Topics and sessions cover law enforcement issues and crimes at colleges and universities.
Attendees will network with college and university security professionals and law enforcement agencies from across the country. Among the speakers are two from George Mason:
- Assistant Chief of Police George Ginovsky will present a session titled “ICS (incident command system) in the Campus Environment.” Prior to joining Mason’s force, Ginovsky worked for the University of Maryland in College Park, where he was incident commander during various crisis situations, including a natural disaster, high-profile VIP visits and several civil disturbances.
- Connie Kirkland, director of Sexual Assault Services, will address “Victimization – Challenges and Concerns of College Sexual Assault.” At Mason, Kirkland provides university-wide education and training, as well as crisis intervention for victims of campus sexual assault, stalking and relationship violence. She is also a faculty member in the departments of Women’s Studies and Administration of Justice. She has worked for 30 years in crime victim advocacy as both a college instructor and as a criminal justice researcher and trainer.
Some other topics to be addressed by experts at the conference include:
- Computer Crimes
- Controlling Alcohol Abuse through Rigorous Enforcement (CAARE)
- Proactive Patrol Response/Civil Disturbances
- On-Campus Narcotics Investigations
- Riot Control
- Video Surveillance in a Campus Setting
- Transportation Security/Terrorism
- Managing Campus/University Events
- Establishing a Campus-Specific Crime Suppression Team
- Establishing a Pedestrian-Friendly Environment on an Urban Campus
For more information, e-mail Detective Thomas Bacigalupi at email@example.com.