Mason Vocal Students Win at Virginia State Voice Competition
Posted: April 7, 2006 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am
By Ryan Call
Twenty-six George Mason students recently represented the university’s Department of Music Vocal Studies program at the 2006 National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) Virginia State Conference and Vocal Competition and came away with a cartload of awards.
At the conference, in which more than 400 voice students and teachers from universities across the state participated, the Mason students gave outstanding performances. Thirteen of the 26 received recognition in their vocal categories, which ranged from the freshman level to graduate and continuing education levels.
The students study under music faculty professors Lisa Berger, Patricia Miller and Debby Wenner.
The following students received First Place awards:
- Siseel Bakken (Continuing Education/Women)
- Allan Chan (Senior/Men)
- Emily Castle-Dunn (Advanced College/Graduate Women)
- Ilker Egingli (Continuing Education/Men)
- Wayne Jennings (Sophomore/Men)
- Nicole Lewis (Freshman/Women)
Second Place awards went to:
- Frances Mitchem (Continuing Education/Women)
- Rebecca Roberts (Advanced College/Graduate Women)
- Nigel Tangredi (Sophomore/Men)
Third Place awards went to:
- Melanie Campbell (Advanced College/Graduate Women)
- Nichole Dalusung (Senior/Women)
- Katelyn Sexton (Freshman/Women)
Jonathan Hoffman (Sophomore/Men) received Honors recognition for his performance.
The George Mason winners are eligible to perform at the upcoming NATS Mid-Atlantic Regional Competition at Meredith College in Raleigh, N.C. The competition takes place beginning today through Saturday, April 8.