Programs Planned for Alcohol Awareness
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am
Oct. 16-22 is National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week, and Mason’s Substance Abuse Programs and Services has planned a series of events at all three Mason campuses.
“It is important for students to make safe choices for themselves regarding alcohol use, not allow others to pressure them into drinking or drinking too much, and take care of friends. They should also keep safe by not drinking to excess, not driving after drinking and not riding with a driver who has been drinking,” says Susan Stahley, coordinator of Substance Abuse Programs and Services. “National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week is a tool in empowering students to protect their health, their academics, their friendships and their future.”
Events planned during the week are:
- Monday, Oct. 17, Fairfax Campus, North Plaza, and Oct. 19-21, Prince William Campus: Mothers Against Drunk Driving Crashed Trailer Exhibit
- Oct.17-21, Fairfax Campus, Johnson Center: Substance Abuse Programs and Services peer educators will be at kiosks in the Johnson Center with games and giveaways
- Monday, Oct. 17, 7 p.m., Student Union Building II, Ballroom: “Greek Speak” with national speaker David Stollman, who will talk about making fraternities and sororities thrive as well as share alcohol and drug awareness information
- Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2 to 7 p.m., Prince William Campus, Occoquan Building, Lobby: Alcohol Awareness Week Information Display Table
- Tuesday, Oct. 18, 4:30 to 6:30 p.m., Student Union Building I, Rooms A,B,C: Dialogue on “Emotional Disabilities, Medications and Alcohol”
- Tuesday, Oct. 18, 7:30 p.m., Fairfax Campus, Johnson Center Cinema: “Prozac Nation,” a film about a young woman’s struggle with depression, alcohol and drugs
- Wednesday, Oct. 19, 3:30 to 6:30 p.m., Arlington Campus, Original Building, First Floor Lobby: Alcohol Awareness Display Table with giveaways and refreshments
- Thursday, Oct. 20, 10 a.m. to noon, Prince William Campus, Bull Run Hall, Lobby: Alcohol Awareness Display Table with giveaways and refreshments
- Friday, Oct. 21, 4:30 to 6:30 p.m., Fairfax Campus, Student Union Building I, Room 220: “Weekend Warm-up” with free food, fun and games in the Wellness Education Resource Room
For more information, call Substance Abuse Programs and Resources at 703-993-3687 or see the web site.