Fairfax City Construction to Redirect Traffic Patterns
Posted: June 7, 2005 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am
As part of the redevelopment of Old Town Fairfax, construction to redirect traffic in the city is scheduled to begin in July and be completed in October 2005. With this plan, traffic will become two-way on Main and North Streets, with turn lanes onto Route 123, University Drive, East Street, and Old Lee Highway. Construction will include:
- Widening North Street to five lanes
- Widening East Street to four lanes
- Modifying traffic islands on Main Street, North Street and Old Lee Highway
- Constructing crosswalks, new sidewalks, and curb ramps on Main Street and North Street
- Reorienting traffic signals
- Building an underground duct bank on Main Street and North Street for the future undergrounding of utilities
In addition, on July 1, the city will rename the entire length of Route 50 in the city “Fairfax Boulevard.”
For more information, see the city’s web site.
Citizens may discuss this project at the June 14 City Council meeting, which begins at 7 p.m. in City Hall. For information, call 703-385-7935.
The information above appeared in CityScene, June 2005.