George Mason in the News

Posted: June 3, 2005 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

Following are highlights of national news coverage George Mason received in the past week.

Friday, May 27, The Chronicle of Higher Education

Student Interest in Computer Science Plummets

“George Mason University started an information-technology program in the fall of 2002, and this year has 726 students in the program. The number keeps growing each year, with students particularly interested in computer-security courses, says Anne Marchant, an information-technology instructor at the university. Only 550 George Mason students are computer-science majors. A few years ago the department had about 800 students who majored in the field. Ms. Marchant blames the shift partly on what she sees as students’ deteriorating mathematics aptitude. ‘Information technology is the right home for an awful lot of students who do not have the math skills and do not really have the interest in becoming programmers,’ she says.”

Saturday, May 28, Baltimore Sun

N.J. Town Rallies Against Closing

Stephen Fuller, an economist at George Mason University, said that his study of a similar move of Pentagon civilians from Northern Virginia to Memphis after the 1995 base-closure round resulted in one-third of them retiring early, another third moving and another third quitting.”

Saturday, May 28, Baltimore Sun

Gulf actions of U.S. Prove Boon to Iran

“’These people spent long years of exile in Iran,’ says Shaul Bakhash, a professor of history at George Mason University. ‘You spend 15 to 20 years somewhere, you send your children to school, you intermarry, certain ties and links are established … that are not easily brushed away.’”

Sunday, May 29,

Preschoolers Are Hip to Adult Errors

“’At about 2, most kids are still grappling with their own sense of themselves,’ explained child psychology expert Susanne Denham, a professor of psychology at George Mason University, in Fairfax, Va. ‘As they get a little older, however, they begin to understand that others have their own mind, and can make mistakes.’”

Sunday, May 29,

U.S. Rabbi Talks Peace in Syria—Publicly

“As an Orthodox rabbinical student pouring over religious texts in New York, Marc Gopin never imagined that one day as a rabbi he would give a public talk in Syria about Judaism and peace. ‘There has never been a meeting like this before, not only of the three religions but also with a group that can ask questions,’ Gopin told The Jerusalem Post. ‘My experience here and in other countries is that before there is even a thought of democracy there needs to be a culture of debate. In particular, there needs to be a culture of conversation between minorities and religions.’ The author of several books, an academic and the head of the Center for World Religions and Diplomacy at George Mason University in Virginia, Gopin said he was there both in his professional role and as a Jew.”

Monday, May 30, Computer World

Competing in a New Age

“But as [Richard] Florida, the Hirst Professor at George Mason University’s School of Public Policy, argues, a combination of factors, including better occupational and educational opportunities in places like Singapore and India, are leading to a global war for creative talent—a battle that he believes the U.S. is positioning itself to lose. Tighter immigration and visa policies that have been adopted since 9/11 are leading an increasing number of foreign-born graduate students to enroll in non-U.S. universities and to work outside the country in more-receptive environments. But that’s just one of the problems that’s diminishing the nation’s ranking as a key destination for creative workers, says Florida. He also notes that 40 million people, or roughly 30 percent of the U.S. workforce, are members of what he terms the ‘creative class’—people who are employed in industries ranging from science and engineering to the arts and white-collar professions such as law. But that leaves the other 70 percent struggling to survive in lower-paying manufacturing and service-industry jobs, a situation that Florida says is ‘exacerbating economic inequality.’”

Tuesday, May 31, USA Today

A Posthumous Victory

“Others lashed out at prosecutorial overreach. Nelson Lund, law professor at George Mason University, said: ‘This case illustrates how dangerous overzealous prosecutors can be, especially when they attack politically unpopular targets. The Supreme Court unanimously rejected the prosecutor’s distorted interpretation of a federal statute, but it was too late to save the defendant’s reputation and business from being destroyed.’”

Write to at