Democracy Project Sponsoring Essay Contest on Civic Engagement
Posted: November 8, 2004 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am
The Democracy Project is offering $2,000 worth of George Mason Bookstore gift certificates to the winners of an essay contest on civic engagement. The contest is open to undergraduate and graduate students.
Topics may address any aspect of civic engagement, but specific questions can include:
- How do the local, national, and international aspects of democracy impact our world on a daily basis?
- How do we as individuals participate in the democratic process?
- What is the meaning of democracy in the world today, and what are its implications for the lived realities of various peoples?
- What is the future of democracy in the United States and in the world?
- What is the impact of technology on the democratic process and civic engagement?
- What does citizenship mean in this historical moment?
Essays must be 750 to 1,000 words. Three undergraduate and three graduate prizes will be awarded. First-place winners in each category will receive $500 gift certificates, second-place winners will receive $300 gift certificates, and third-place winners will receive $200 gift certificates. The deadline for submissions is noon on Monday, Nov. 15. Send entries to Marcy Glover at firstname.lastname@example.org or MS 3A2.