BOV Conducts First Meeting of New Academic Year
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am
George Mason’s Board of Visitors (BOV) held its first formal meeting of the academic year yesterday with newly-elected Rector Sidney Dewberry serving as the presiding officer.
Other presiding officers include Leonard Pomata as vice rector and Teresa Klaassen as secretary.
The following BOV members were elected to head the governing body’s various committees:
- Faculty and Academic Standards Committee—Sudhakar Shenoy, chair, and Gary Shapiro, vice chair
- Student Life Committee—William Johnson, chair, and Teresa Klaassen, vice chair
- Land Use and Physical Facilities Committee—John Knox Singleton, chair, and Denny Garcia, vice-chair
- Equal Opportunity Committee—Byron Marchant, chair, and Denny Garcia, vice chair
- Finance and Resource Development Committee—Leonard Pomata, chair, and William P. Johnson, vice chair
- Audit Committee—Teresa Klaassen, chair, and Long Nguyen, vice chair
In other action items, the BOV approved a new undergraduate degree in Latin American studies and a doctoral degree in mathematics. It also approved changing the name of the Doctor of Arts in Community College Education program to the Higher Education Program.
The BOV also instructed the university administration to provide a comprehensive review of the university’s current parking situation and future plans at its next regularly scheduled meeting in December.