Faculty Senate Defines C- Grade As Unsatisfactory

Posted: February 19, 2003 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

Editor’s note: Due to the inclement weather, this story is being rerun today.

By Robin Herron

After several months of discussion, last week the Faculty Senate passed two resolutions related to the C- grade, even as many senators expressed frustration with the final outcome.

The Academic Policies Committee proposed the resolutions to resolve inconsistencies that had arisen as a result of the grade’s adoption and designation as “satisfactory” by the senate nearly three years ago. The senate changed that to “unsatisfactory” for purposes of transfer grades, academic standing, repeating a course, and standards for completion of major programs and degrees. As a result, the C- , which counts for 1.67 points, will be in the same category as a D grade since George Mason uses both the satisfactory/unsatisfactory designation and grade point standards to determine degree completion. Undergraduate degrees will be limited to 12 credits of courses with C- or D grades, with no more than 6 credits in a major and no more than 3 credits in a minor in order to graduate (some programs may have more restrictive limits).

Although senators were concerned about the current “dual track” of standards, Registrar Susan Jones explained that the system cannot be changed easily, and to do so would require more resources than are now available. However, Hal Gortner, Public and International Affairs, introduced a resolution, which passed, to establish a task force to review the parallel systems and develop a single system.

In response to a request from Student Government, senators also voted to designate honors in the traditional Latin terms of cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude.

Lastly, the senate adopted a resolution that would permit research faculty to file grievances with the University Grievance Committee on matters of infringements of academic freedom, unfair or inappropriate conditions of employment, and other due process issues.

Write to at