John Jenkins Says Goodbye to University Police

Posted: June 28, 2002 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

By Patty Snellings

When he padlocked the original George Mason facility at Baileys Crossroads following the opening of the Fairfax Campus, John Jenkins, George Mason’s deputy chief of police for operations, probably didn’t realize the act was symbolic of the continuous growth and change he’d witness at the university during his career. Today, Jenkins leaves the police department after more than 37 years of service.

“I’ve enjoyed working with the university community. I’ve seen a lot of things change, and I feel I’ve made many contributions to George Mason,” Jenkins says. “I know I’ll miss it, but there comes a time when you have to make that decision to move on. I’m proud to be a part of the university’s history.”

According to Larry Czarda, vice president for operations, Jenkins holds the distinction of being the longest-serving employee in George Mason’s history. He began in 1965, when George Mason was a two-year, branch college of the University of Virginia. Although Jenkins officially retires Oct. 1, he’ll be working with Czarda on special projects, such as drafting a security policy for biosciences activities at the Prince William Campus, until then.

“I’ve known John a long time, and two things about him always impress me,” Czarda says. “First, his dedication to George Mason–with his many years of continuous service, he helped build the police department and the university. Even more impressive is his unfailingly consistent performance under circumstances that, given the nature of his profession, are often contentious. He’s always calm, cool, and a gentleman.”

In a ceremony this morning, Jenkins’ badge, bearing the number “1,” will be retired and presented to him, along with a 35-year award for service as a classified employee. “He has provided excellent service to the department in many roles over the years,” adds Chief of Police Michael Lynch.

Write to at