University Reminds Staff, Faculty of Inclement Weather Procedure
Posted: November 26, 2001 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am
With winter weather just around the corner, the university community is reminded of key elements of George Mason’s inclement weather procedure. While a more comprehensive description of the procedure will appear in the next edition of the Mason Gazette, following are highlights:
- When George Mason opens late, that time will coincide with class and/or exam schedules.
- All three campuses are not required to be closed or open at the same time.
- Regarding closings or late openings, every attempt will be made to make all decisions no later than 6 a.m.
- The university’s liberal leave policy is defined as follows: Any employee may charge an absence to annual leave or another available balance without advance supervisory approval if weather conditions make the commute to work too hazardous.
- An “essential” employee refers to those employees required to work during emergency closings because their positions have been designated as essential to their specific operations.
- Human Resources is responsible for maintaining and running George Mason’s internal snow tree. The snow tree is triggered when a decision is made by the senior vice president and/or provost to close down the university early.