Hispanic Heritage Month Aims to Educate Mason Community about Hispanic Culture
Posted: September 20, 2010 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: September 17, 2010 at 3:03 pm
By Aisha Jamil
The Office of Diversity Programs and Services (ODPS) is presenting a month-long celebration of Hispanic life and culture, which continues through Friday, Oct. 15. Hispanic Heritage Month honors Hispanic Americans’ contributions throughout the world and commemorates their accomplishments.
This year, the Hispanic Student Association (HSA) is working with other campus organizations to hold events all over the university.
The kick-off event on Sept.15, “Bienvenida Latina,” featured a meet-and-greet session with Mason’s Hispanic Greek organizations as well as free food, music and dance performances.
Upcoming events include Hispanic-themed films, dance classes, discussion panels and fund raisers.
The HSA published a handbook on the events open to all students and faculty members. Following are a few of the many events scheduled.
- Tuesday, Sept. 21, 7:30 p.m., Johnson Center, Gold Room, “¡A Su Salud! Latinas and Health with Dr. Jane Delgado.” The president and CEO of the National Alliance for Hispanic Health will describe her work and discuss health issues that concern Latinas in the modern age.
- Wednesday, Oct. 6, 6:30 p.m., Student Union Building II (SUB II), Room 5, “Hispanic and Latino Success in Higher Education with Karen Rosenblum and Dennis Ritchie.” Rosenblum, associate professor of sociology and anthropology, and Ritchie, professor of social work, will lecture on how to get students involved in a Mason research project that aims to understand and support Hispanic and Latino success at Mason.
- Thursday, Oct. 7, 7 p.m., SUB II, Room 5 and 6, “Latinization of the U.S. Discussion Panel.” This event will provide an open discussion and a Q&A with Latino professionals.
- Wednesday, Oct. 13, 6:30 p.m., SUB II, Rooms 5, 6 and 7, “The Borders That Divide US: A Forum on Immigration.” A panel will discuss recent immigration issues in the United States.
- Friday, Oct. 22, 5:30 p.m., Johnson Center Dewberry Hall (south), “Closing Ceremony and Celebration.”
For more information on Hispanic Heritage Month, contact Jennifer Crewalk, assistant director of ODPS, or visit the website at odps.gmu.edu.
Write to gazette at email@example.com