Name Changes in Learning Support Services
Posted: August 9, 2010 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: August 6, 2010 at 2:44 pm
The IT Training website has been updated to reflect changes within Learning Support Services (LSS), which is in the Division of Instructional Technology at Mason.
The functions of IR (Instructional Resources), TOPS (Training in Office and Productivity Skills), and STAR*T (Student Technology Assistance and Resource Training) still exist, but their names have been changed.
IR is now called Instructional Design (ID) and will continue to serve as a resource for teaching faculty, instructional support staff and academic units seeking to improve instruction. Services offered include:
- Training and support for instructional improvement and technology to enhance student learning
- Support for using technology-based courseware in classrooms
- Support of instructional initiatives university-wide
TOPS and STAR*T have been combined and are now called Training and Certification (T&C). The unit will continue to provide training for faculty, staff and students to develop their office and web skills in the following areas:
- Microsoft Office Applications (Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Word)
- Multimedia, video, desktop publishing and computer graphics (Dreamweaver, Flash, HTML, Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop)
- Other applications such as CorporateTime and SkillPort
Also, a new unit called Online Learning Resources (OLR) will provide support, administration and training for the university’s Learning Management/Community System (myMason Portal, including courses and organizations).
The name changes are meant to better represent what each unit has to offer the George Mason University community. If you have any questions, contact LSS at email@example.com.
Write to gazette at firstname.lastname@example.org