BOV Approves New Degrees
Posted: December 10, 2009 at 1:03 am, Last Updated: December 9, 2009 at 4:16 pm
At its meeting on Dec. 9, the George Mason University Board of Visitors (BOV) approved several new degrees and some changes to existing degrees.
The new degrees, subject to State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) approval, are:
- MS in Peace Operations, to replace the existing Master of New Professional Studies (Peace Operations), School of Public Policy
- MS in Sport and Recreation Studies, School of Recreation, Health and Tourism
- BA in Environmental and Sustainability Studies, jointly administered through the Department of Environmental Science and Policy in the College of Science; and New Century College in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- BS in Environmental Science, Department of Environmental Science and Policy in the College of Science
In addition, an audit revealed that the existing BA in Art History program was never properly approved by the BOV or SCHEV. The BOV formally approved the program at this week’s meeting and it will be sent on to SCHEV for proper approval.
Also, the BOV approved
- Changing the name of the BS in Social Work to the Bachelor of Social Work (BSW)
- Changing the name of the BS in Health Science to the BS in Health Administration
The BOV also conferred emeritus status, to take effect in March 2010, on two retired faculty members: Jeanne Sorrell will be Professor Emerita of Nursing; and Chien-Yun Wu will be Associate Professor Emerita of Nursing.
Write to gazette at email@example.com