Y’all Come! Family Weekend Is for Everyone
Posted: September 24, 2009 at 1:02 am, Last Updated: September 23, 2009 at 4:39 pm
By Robin Herron
For the ninth year, Mason is opening its arms wide to all families in the Mason community during the annual Family Weekend, Oct. 16-18, hosted by the Office of Orientation and Family Programs and Services.
It’s a time for students’ families to come and get acquainted, or re-acquainted, with Mason, of course, but it’s also a time for faculty and staff members to mix and mingle with the students and their families—and have fun with their own families, too.
It’s a great deal, as well. These activities are free for a faculty or staff member and up to three of their family members:
- Friday night Welcome Dinner
- Mason pre-Madness and Madness celebrations. Be one of the first to hear the new Fight Song that will debut during Mason Madness, the annual mega-rally that opens the basketball season.
- FUNZONE activities for younger family members
- Community Service—either the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Chantilly, the Earth Sangha Habitat Restoration at Royal Lake Park or Wolf Trap tree planting with ReLeaf
- Wine Tasting
- Mason Family Book Presentation, featuring Jason F. Wright, author of “The Wednesday Letters”
- Family BBQ and ThinkFast! GameShow
- Family brunch in Southside
Other options with a fee are
- Family Weekend Golf Scramble for $50 per person
- Wayne Brady at the Patriot Center. Mason family, faculty and staff tickets are available for $15 (limit two); additional tickets are $25 each.
These events are first-come, first-served, so send in your reservation form as soon as possible. The entire schedule of events and special reservation form for faculty and staff members are online at the Office of Orientation and Family Programs and Services web site.
Write to gazette at firstname.lastname@example.org