School of Music Presents Jean Carrington Cook Memorial Piano Scholarship Recital
Posted: September 11, 2009 at 1:02 am, Last Updated: September 10, 2009 at 4:37 pm
Mason’s School of Music will hold its annual concert in honor of the late Jean Carrington Cook and her husband C. Barrie Cook for their endowed piano scholarship awards to talented Mason students.
A “Grand” Piano Celebration: The Jean Carrington Cook Memorial Piano Scholarship Recital will be held at the Center for the Arts Concert Hall on Sunday, Sept. 20, at 3 p.m.A reception will immediately follow the recital on the Concert Hall’s Grand Tier III.
Several members of the music faculty will perform, including the School of Music’s associate director and International Steinway Artist Linda Apple Monson, pianist Anna Balakerskaia, violinist Zino Bogachek and tenor Richard Novak.
The students performing are undergraduate and graduate music majors studying piano performance: Oh Sung Choi, Yoonji Kim, Jihae Lim, Emma McDermott, Ina Mirtcheva, Jennifer Robinson, Min Son and Kimberly Yi.
The concert is a celebration of the keyboard area within the School of Music. Two years ago, the university was named an All-Steinway School. With 16 new Steinway grand pianos gracing its practice rooms, Mason joined the ranks of some of the most prestigious music schools in the country.
The Mason community is indebted to all of the donors who contributed to the All-Steinway School initiative as well as to the Cooks for their invaluable contributions for endowed piano scholarships to the music programs in the College of Visual and Performing Arts.
- Fantasiestucke, Opus 12 (In Der Nacht), Robert Schumann (1810-1856)
Performed by Min Son
- Transcendental Etude No. 10 in F minor, Franz Liszt (1811-1886)
Performed by Emma McDermott
- Etude, Op.25 No.10, Frédéric Chopin (1810-1848)
Performed by Oh Sung Choi
- Piano Sonata in C Major, Hob.XVI/50, Franz Joseph Haydn (1732-1809)
Performed by Kimberly Yi
- Waldstein Sonata, Opus 53 (I. Allegro con brio), Ludwig van Beethoven (1779-1827)
Performed by Jennifer Robinson
- Suite Espagnole, Opus 47 (Cataluna, Cadiz), Isaac Albeniz (1860-1909)
Performed by Jihae Lim
- El Pelele (Goyesca), Enrique Granados (1867-1916)
Performed by Yoonji Kim
- L’isle joyeuse, Claude Debussy (1862-1918)
Performed by Ina Mirtcheva
- Variations on a Theme by Alban Berg, Ross Lee Finney (1906-1997)
Performed by Linda Apple Monson, International Steinway Artist
- A Green Lowland of Pianos, Opus 45, No. 2 (from Three Songs), Samuel Barber (1910-1981)
- Three Browning Songs, Opus 44, Amy Marcy Cheney Beach (1867-1944)
The Year’s at the Spring
Ah, Love, But a Day!
I Send My Heart up to Thee!
Performed by Richard Novak, tenor
Linda Apple Monson, piano
- Sonata for Violin and Piano in A Major, M. 8, Cesar Franck (1822-1890)
I. Allegretto moderato
Performed by Zino Bogachek, violin
Anna Balakerskaia, piano
- Andante in F (from the Clavier Sonata in D Minor), Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
- Bolero (from Spanish Dances), Moritz Moszkowski (1854-1925)
Performed by Anna Balakerskaia, piano
Linda Apple Monson, piano
Tickets are $15, adults; $10, seniors; free for students of all ages. All ticket proceeds to benefit the Jean Carrington Cook Piano Scholarship Fund for deserving students. Charge by phone at 888-945-2468 or visit www.gmu.edu/cfa.
Write to gazette at email@example.com