Mason to Host First Alumni Weekend
Posted: August 21, 2009 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: August 20, 2009 at 3:09 pm
By Rashad Mulla
Preparations for the first-ever Alumni Weekend at Mason are well under way. The inaugural festivities, taking place from Oct. 2 to 4 on the Fairfax Campus, will feature more than two dozen events, as well as “affinity” receptions offered by some of the colleges and schools.
The cost of admission is $50 per person, and discounts are available. Young alumni (age 30 and under) pay only $40 for admission, and children of alumni age 12 and under pay only $25. After the early registration date, Sept. 18, rates will increase.
“Alumni weekend will feature a variety of fun and informative activities over several days that will entertain, inspire and educate Mason alumni,” says Christine Clark-Talley, associate vice president for Alumni Affairs. “[We will] celebrate our alumni community and provide opportunities for alumni to reminisce, reconnect with old friends and rediscover what makes Mason a great university.”
The inaugural program includes the following events:
- Revisiting the Rathskeller, Mason’s old pub that is making a return this summer
- A concert with The Legwarmers, “the ultimate ’80s tribute band”
- Breakfast with President Alan Merten
- “A-List” lectures
- Vice President for Facilities Tom Calhoun’s analysis of Mason’s $500 million construction plan
- Tours of the campus (including a driving tour on a green-and-gold trolley)
- A contest to win a Wii/Wii Fit bundle
- The PatriotFest BBQ on the Quad in front of Student Union Building I
Registration is open to all alumni, faculty, staff and the community. Visit alumniweekend.gmu.edu for the schedule of events, event details and to register.
Write to gazette at email@example.com