Athletics Director O’Connor’s Contract Extended
Posted: June 16, 2009 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: June 16, 2009 at 8:00 am
Athletics Director Tom O’Connor has had his contract extended through 2013. O’Connor is in his 15th year at Mason and his fourth decade in NCAA Division I athletics.
“One of the shining spots at George Mason University is our intercollegiate athletic program. The high quality of this comprehensive and distinct program is due in large measure to the outstanding leadership and commitment to excellence of Tom O’Connor. Tom joined the university in 1994 and has proved himself to be a dynamic leader. We are pleased that he will be remaining with us,” says President Alan Merten.
Some highlights of the 2008-09 athletic season:
- Men’s soccer under head coach Greg Andrulis won the CAA Championship, advancing to the second round of the NCAA Division I Men’s Soccer Championship for the first time since the 1996 season.
- The men’s basketball team under head coach Jim Larranaga participated in the postseason for the fourth time in the last six years, going to the NIT this year.
- The baseball team under head coach Bill Brown tied the school record for wins and winning percentage and received an at-large bid to the NCAA.
- Freshman swimmer Ashley Danner earned All-America honorable mention status with her 15th-place time of 1:00.57 in the 100-yard breaststroke finals at the NCAA Championship. Peter Ward is head coach for swimming and diving.
- Baseball’s catcher Chris Henderson became the first Mason baseball player to receive first-team All-America honors from Collegiate Baseball. Seniors Scott Krieger and Mike Modica earned All-America second team honors.
Senior Vice President Maurice Scherrens notes, “Tom has helped us establish Mason as a high-quality intercollegiate athletic program, with outstanding student athletes, coaches and staff. We have the program well grounded and moving in the right direction, and having him continue as our AD will serve us well.”
Write to gazette at email@example.com