Mason Offers New Minor in Systems Engineering and Operations Research

Posted: May 11, 2009 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

For many students, a minor in systems engineering and operations research (SEOR) will offer an attractive complement to their current major.

Systems engineers define, design, develop, integrate and test systems. Systems engineers focus on the system as a whole, whereas other engineering disciplines concentrate on individual aspects of a system (electronics, ergonomics and software).

The minor is open to all majors and is especially appropriate for students in the natural sciences, computational sciences, information technology, finance, economic, mathematics, engineering or computer science programs.

Students pursuing a SEOR minor can complement skills acquired from their major degree with fundamental knowledge about systems engineering and operations research. Students will learn how to deal with the system life cycle and to use scientific methods for analyzing operations of a system or organization.

The structured set of courses for the minor will help students across the technical fields prepare for the information technology work now common in public and private industry.

SEOR majors take on careers and jobs such as system analyst, system designer, operation research analyst, system engineer/manager, project manager or program manager in government agencies and private companies whose core competency is in information systems, network and communications systems, defense systems, health delivery systems, financial systems, transportation systems, manufacturing systems and corporate processes.

Students pursuing the minor will find SEOR knowledge to be valuable in understanding the overall functioning of these systems, particularly when their major field of study leads to a career that connects to these systems.

For more information, see the web site; consult the University Catalog online; stop by the SEOR Department in the Engineering Building, Room 2100; e-mail; or call 703-993-1670.

Write to at