Eric Knight Selected CAA Men’s Swimmer of the Year
Posted: April 7, 2008 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am
Mason Athletics photo
For the fourth straight year, a member of the Mason men’s swimming team has been selected as the best in the Colonial Athletic Association.
Junior Eric Knight, who was chosen as the CAA Championship’s outstanding men’s swimmer, was named the Men’s Swimmer of the Year, the conference office announced last week.
Knight earned Outstanding Swimmer of the Meet honors at the 2008 CAA Championship after capturing three individual events. The junior took first place in the 50 freestyle with a time of 20.0, the 100 breaststroke with a time of 54.93 and the 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:00.
Knight’s performance in the 100 breaststroke was a CAA record, and he set new Mason records this season in five separate events (50 free, 100 free, 200 free, 100 breast, 200 breast). He achieved NCAA “B” Cut standards in the 50 and 100 free and the 100 and 200 breaststroke.
The junior from Centreville, Va., was one of four Patriots to earn All-CAA honors, doing so in the 100 and 200 breast, as well as the 50 free.
Knight is the third Patriot to earn top honors in the program’s nine-year history. Tom Koucheravy was a three-time award winner from 2005 to 2007, while Lauren Stinnett received the award in 2002.
Other All-CAA honors went to
- Senior Matt Kane, in the 500 and 1650 free and the 400 individual medley
- Sophomore Stephen Sullivan in the 400 individual medley
- Junior Ryan Metzker in the one-meter dive
- The 400 free relay team of Knight, freshman Spencer Roe, sophomore Tad Ogren and Kane
- The 800 free relay squad of Knight, Kane, freshman Zachary Hamlin and sophomore Steven Benecki
- The 200 medley relay of sophomore Ryan David, Knight, Ogren and Roe
- The 400 medley relay of David, Knight, Ogren and Benecki
A number of performances on the women’s side garnered All-CAA recognition as well.
- Senior Sarah Bizer was recognized for individual efforts in the 50 and 100 free
- Senior Amanda Fielding and freshman Lisa Faulkner were rewarded for their scores in the one- and three-meter dives
- Junior Mary Beth Cheslock, sophomore Caitlin Impink, freshman Katie Planchak and Bizer finished second in the 200 free relay
- Sophomore Claire Weems, Cheslock, Impink and Bizer finished in third place in the 400 free relay
- The 800 free relay (Weems, Impink, freshman Jenny Kane and senior Mallory Pucci) were also honored