George Mason in the News

Posted: June 1, 2007 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

Following are highlights of national news coverage George Mason recently received.

Sunday, May 27, New York Times

Clueless

Bryan Caplan, an economist at George Mason University, has attracted notice for raising a pointed question: Do voters have any idea what they are doing? In his provocative new book, ‘The Myth of the Rational Voter: Why Democracies Choose Bad Policies,’ Caplan argues that ‘voters are worse than ignorant; they are, in a word, irrational — and vote accordingly.’ Caplan’s complaint is not that special-interest groups might subvert the will of the people, or that government might ignore the will of the people. He objects to the will of the people itself. Caplan writes that just 1 percent of voters are fully informed and the other 99 percent are so ignorant that they vote at random.”

Monday, May 28, Washington Post

Physics Professor Aims to Teach Art Students the Business

“Picture it: The abandoned building at 14th and U turned into an art gallery where graduate art students can learn how to sell and market their art. This idea brought to you by Paul So, physics professor at George Mason University. So, currently on a sabbatical, bought the building at 1353 U Street NW next to the Republic Gardens, last year for $1.3 million. It is his dream to provide a space and program for art students so they can learn the business side of art, like how to write grants and how to market their work. ‘It’s difficult for young artists to exhibit their art. There are not many spaces for that here,’ he said, adding that he would like to keep local artists here, rather than see them run off to New York City.”

Wednesday, May 30, ABC 7 News

Experts Predict Washington Will Get More Expensive

“Think the Washington area is expensive and congested Wednesday? Wait till you see what’s coming. One economist predicts that in 50 years, the average home in the Washington area will cost $14 million. Stephen Fuller, professor of public policy at George Mason University, spoke Wednesday at a forum on the region’s future sponsored by the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments. The $14 million price would be almost 12 times the projected average household income in 2057. Currently, homes cost 3.5 times the average regional household income. The lack of affordable housing will make traffic in the area even worse than it is.”

Thursday, May 31, Washington Post

Gay Candidate Denies Blogs Forced Him from Race

“Jeff Dion said it wasn’t the bloggers’ vicious personal attacks about his ‘gay lifestyle’ that made him end his campaign for a Prince William County seat in the Virginia House of Delegates but practical politics. Dion, who is openly gay, announced Friday that he was quitting the race, saying that party leaders told him that he could have trouble winning the House seat in the 51st District, which includes part of Prince William. The incumbent, Del. Michelle B. McQuigg (R), is stepping down to run for clerk of the circuit court. When Dion entered the House race, the bloggers’ attacks resumed, including a posting of a profile that Dion put on a gay networking and dating web site. Even longtime Republican strategists in Richmond said they were appalled last week when Dion’s gay.com profile appeared on a blog called Not Larry Sabato. Mark Rozell, a politics professor at George Mason University, said the posting of the profile on Not Larry Sabato crossed a line. But Rozell noted that in politics these days, the line (if it still exists) is blurred. ‘Politics have become a pretty ugly environment in the modern era, not that it hasn’t been ugly in the past,’ he said. ‘There has always been an unseemly part of political life, but today in the blogosphere, there is an immediacy, and there is not a filter for material that is over the line.’”

Write to at