Honor Society Inducts Record Number
Posted: April 9, 2007 at 1:00 am, Last Updated: November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am
Last month, the George Mason Chapter of Alpha Lambda Delta (ALD), a national academic honor society for first-year students, hosted its largest induction ceremony to date.
According to Donna Fox, assistant dean for College of Health and Social Services (CHSS) Undergraduate Academic Affairs and lead advisor for ALD, nearly 400 students met the 3.50 GPA required to join the society, and 223 students chose to become members.
This year’s new honorary members include:
- Zofia Burr, director of the honors program
- Benn Crandall, associate director of university services
- John Schreifels, associate professor of chemistry
- Ruth Townsend, associate director of equity and diversity services
Three students were recognized with awards from the national office:
- Eric Barnes received the Kathryn Sisson Phillips Fellowship worth $3,000;
- Tessa Jamison received the JoAnne Trow Scholarship worth $1,000; and
- Annie Majid also won the JoAnne Trow Scholarship.
Members of ALD devoted more than 900 hours to community service activities last year, including service to the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross, the National AIDS Walk, and the CHSS convocation ceremony.